Learning, Evolution and Local Interaction
Director: Prof. Avner Shaked, Ph.D.
We analyse learning rules in populations with a Local Interaction
structure - where an individual meets his neighbours only. We study
the population behaviour for a given learning rule and study the
optimality and the evolution of such learning rules. The Local
Interaction structure affects the information the individuals have
and, therefore, the speed and direction the evolutionary process
In particular, we study the following topics:
- Partnership for Survival (Shaked)
Individuals may tend to be more cooperative if their neighbours
may die and disappear when not helped.
- Neighbourhood & Kinship (Shaked)
Individuals may learn to treat their neighbours as their kin when
behaviour spreads by imitation.
- Optimal Imitation under Imperfect Information (Schlag)
We will look for optimal learning rules for boundedly rational
agents when only partial information is observable, e.g. play in
an extensive form game.
- Evolution in Networks (Schlag)
Competition among learning rules and consequences for information
processing and asymptotic learning will be analysed.
- Evolution and Equilibrium Selection (Schlag)
Predictions of evolutionary learning processes in economic settings,
e.g., commitment games, pricing and product differentiation, will be
- The Evolution of Social Insurance in Social Networks (Pollock)
How social networks which distribute support (monetary or
otherwise) in times of crisis are formed and maintained.
- Punishment and Cheating in Coordination Mechanisms (Pollock)
Analysis of a biological system (ant queen foundresses) involving
an "altruistic" coordinated role, with experiments
- Market Organization and Searching (Herreiner)
Concentrates on questions like how markets organize, how buyers
and sellers meet, how they learn from past experience.
- Learning, Evolution and Local Interaction (Herreiner)
Analyzes how local learning and interaction rules determine the evolution
of a population.
- University of Bonn
- Institut für Gesellschafts- und Wirtschaftswissenschaften
- Wirtschaftstheoretische Abteilung III
- Adenauerallee 24-26
- D - 53113 Bonn / Germany
- Phone: +49+228+73 7996
- Fax: +49+228+73 7900
- Shaked, Avner, Prof. Ph.D.
- Hain, Roland, Dipl. Vw.
- Herreiner, Dorothea
- Pollock, Gregory, Ph.D.
- Schlag, Karl, Ph.D.
- Nöldeke, Georg, Prof. Dr.
08.09.2000, © Webmaster